Tuesday 17 December 2013

A great idea for children's cards

Hi There! A couple of posts ago I said I was going to share our class christmas cards with you. Bearing in mind there are thirty 5 and 6 year olds in my class it is a mega production line and needed a few days!
The snowman is made from equal quantities of shaving foam and PVA glue, sprinkled with a little clear glitter. We spooned it on to two circles drawn onto the card. This needed to dry for a couple of days to be certain. It takes on the form of something like polystyrene packing sheets and it is lovely to touch! Slightly springy too! We then threaded pipe cleaners through the card to make the scarf, drew the hat, buttons eyes and mouth, and stuck a triangle of orange felt on for the carrot nose.
I just love how they all have different characters, depending on the sighting of the eyes and the direction the nose is pointing! I found the idea for the snow effect paint recipe here via pinterest. I realise it is a bit of a picture heavy post, but I love them all!
I have just realised that we did do one other thing to them yesterday after taking the photos - we stuck some matchsticks on for arms. These covered up where the shaving foam mixture had run as it wasn't totally dry when we hung them up!!!
We also managed to cover lots of the science curriculum with this activity discussing and exploring properties of materials.
Thanks for looking!

9 comments:

Mau xx said...

Awwww!!! how cute are these :o)) It reminds me of working with the holiday club at Church in the school holidays. I bet they had such fun making these Sally.
Thanks so much for calling...I have just gone to edit my post and welcome you as a follower...naughty me forgot this morning :o( However I discover I have NO followers...boo hoo..have you any ideas????
Hugs Mau xx

Helen J said...

Brilliant cards, I bet their families will love them!
Helen

vic said...

This is such a fab idea I love how you can make a snowman like that :) will have to give this a go.
Hugs
Vic x

Sarn said...

Brrrrrr-illiant Snowman cards. Well done class!

xxx

Paula (PEP) said...

I marvel at you turned these snowmen into a science lesson - magical I'd say! I can imagine you had great fun & so did your children making these. I bet they smell quite good too!
Paula (PEP)

Tracy Harris said...

Awwww bless - great cards - looks like there is some fantastic new talent coming up xxx

Sandy said...

These cards are adorable - thank you for sharing them with us.
Merry Christmas!!
Sandy

Mrs A. said...

These are brilliant. I bet the children loved making them. Hugs Mrs A.

Shaz in Oz.CalligraphyCards said...

ooh how special is that Sal! Shaz in oz.x